- Perform an evaluation including the Allen cognitive Assessment
- Identify the best ability to function
- Create a plan to maximize and maintain function and safety
- Analyze the triggers of behavior issues and implement strategies to minimize them.
- Provide caregiver education
- Provide recommendations regarding the client's driving status
The article goes on to describe treatment interventions and gives case studies. I was lucky that the staff of the ALF where my mom lived was fantastic at addressing all of these needs. However, it was when she moved int a nursing home - when OT input would have been extremely valuable in addressing her emotional, sensory and behavioral needs during the late stages of the disease. The only therapeutic input I observed was when I complained about her positioning in a recliner where her feet and arms were often hanging off the sides and to evaluate dining and food texture needs.