Sunday, October 11, 2009

Music and Movement for Dementia Patients


I found that my mother responded to music and could sing long after losing the ability to speak or understand questions. The songs from the World War II era that she grew up seemed to be retained in her long term memory the best. I compiled a list of large print song into a book, fitting them into page protectors inside a 3 ring binder. You can print out 28 songs from my web site at:
http://www.barbarasmithoccupationaltherapist.com/sarahsongs.html
During the early stages of the disease my mom was able to read these lyrics and sing independently. Later on I prompted her by singing most of the songs and letting her complete familiar phrases such as "Let me call you (Sweetheart)."
Eventually, I did all the singing but she shook a tambourine or I helped her to shake it and I set up her CD player to repeat her favorite songs. Here is another site with songs to print: http://geocities.com/dferg5493/songfiles.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment